Homemade pesto sauce is healthy and delicious. Pesto is one sauce you will love because it is fresh, versatile, vibrant, herby, and creamy. Learn how to make the best basil pesto in easy steps with a few ingredients.
This healthy homemade pesto is delicious, versatile, and flavorful. You will choose this sauce over the store-bought one once you try it.
Easy Homemade Pesto Recipe
Pesto originates from Italy, made with basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese. It is vibrant green and smells good, typically used as a pasta sauce, but it can also be used on pizza, in sandwiches, or as a dip. You can make so many variations of pesto sauce depending on your need, but the basil-based one is my favorite.
This will be your go-to pesto recipe once you learn how to make it.
Fresh basil leaves - substitute the basil for Thai basil.
Pine nuts – use nuts of choice, cashew, pistachio, or almonds.
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Garlic – if you do not like the taste of raw garlic, you can use roasted garlic.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil substitute with extra virgin olive oil
How to Make Basil Pesto Sauce
Add fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, and roasted garlic in a food processor. Pulse it for a few seconds to completely chopped. (Scrape all sides of the food processor for a consistent result)
Pour the olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper into the mixture until combined and emulsified. Add a little olive oil if the sauce is too thick or until you achieve the desired consistency.
Transfer the sauce to a bowl or an airtight jar. Use immediately or save for later.
How to Use Pesto
There are creative ways to use pesto to elevate your dish. You can add pesto to pasta sauce or gnocchi dishes.
Make cheesy pesto bread.
Marinade and make pesto pasta, meatballs, air fryer pesto chicken breast, or pesto-flavored veggies.
Use it as a sandwich or grilled cheese spread. Leftover pesto to make salad dressing, pesto mayo, or pesto butter:
Add to your eggs, omelet, fried or scrambled eggs.
Make pizza using pesto and mozzarella cheese as your topping.
Use for dips and sauces.
How to Store Homemade Pesto Sauce
Fridge - keep for up to 7 days in an airtight container or cover the bowl with a cling film.
Freeze – store for up to 3 months in a Ziploc or ice cube tray.
- The pesto might change color to brown after a few days. Check to make sure it is okay before consuming it.
- You can reduce or omit garlic if you prefer.
- For full flavor, add lemon juice and use roasted nuts or garlic.
- You can use a blender for this recipe.
Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Food processor
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil substitute with extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, and roasted garlic in a food processor. Pulse it for a few seconds to completely chopped. (Scrape all sides of the food processor for a consistent result)
- Pour the olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper into the mixture until combined and emulsified. Add a little olive oil if the sauce is too thick or until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl or an airtight jar. Use immediately or save for later.
I am glad you made it here and hope you enjoyed it. I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @mydeliciouscravings on Instagram and join our Facebook page for new recipes. Please subscribe if you haven’t for new recipes straight to your inbox.
Let's hear from you