Learn how to make this vanilla cake in an air fryer today! This perfect cake is soft, moist, light, and fluffy - a delicious cake that is ideal for birthdays or afternoon tea. We are about to make a straightforward vanilla cake that requires just a few ingredients from scratch.
Air Fryer Vanilla Cake
If you are wondering if you can bake a cake in an air fryer, the answer is simple; it comes out perfectly cooked, just like the ones baked in a conventional oven.
I find it easy to bake a cake in an air fryer because it is easy and I know you will love it too. Please note, the size and shape of the cake you can make in it will depend on the size of your air fryer.
This vanilla sponge cake recipe is perfect for the family and is budget-friendly. I prefer making my cake from scratch instead of using a cake mix because of how easy it is to make. This a personal choice, If you prefer the store-bought cake mix, then, by all means, go for it. It would be best if you used the appropriate proportions to mix the dry ingredients, then store the mixture in an airtight container for later use.
You can bake a wide range of cakes in your air fryer as you would in a traditional oven - eggless banana bread, air fryer chocolate cake, or lemon cake by adapting the recipe to suit your preferred cake.
Tools you need to bake a vanilla cake in an air fryer.
- Air Fryer
- Baking pan or silicone pan
- Mixing bowl
- Baking paper or cake pan liner: this is to line the cake pan for easy removal of the cake from the pan.
- Spatula – scrape every bit of the batter into the cake pan.
- Electric mixer - hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Cake tester: this could be a toothpick, skewers, or an actual cake tester to check for doneness.
Self-raising flour (sifted)
Caster sugar is better than granulated sugar. It makes the creaming process easy.
Cake butter or unsalted butter. Ensure the butter is at room temperature.
Large eggs: keep eggs at room temperature to make the cake moist and to avoid dry or chewy.
Milk: optional. Only use it if you have it.
Baking powder: you can skip if using self-raising flour.
Air fryer temperature varies depending on size, make, and model. My delicious cravings recipe time is subject to a preheated air fryer. If you are trying this recipe for the first time, deduct 2 minutes from the cooking time and increase it if needed to allow the food to cook evenly.
How to bake a classic vanilla cake in an air fryer
Prepare the ingredients - use a weighing scale to measure.
Butter the cake pan (3 x 7-inch round pan) and line it with parchment paper to prepare the pan. Next, put aside.
Using a hand or stand mixer, start creaming the sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy for about 3 to 5 minutes
When the butter and sugar are well combined, add the eggs and milk and then mix with the hand mixer.
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 160C/320F.
Add the flour and baking powder, if using.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold the flour into the wet ingredients until well combined. Lastly, add the milk and mix till smooth.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and place it in the air fryer basket. Bake in the preheated air fryer for 25 to 35 minutes at a temperature of 150C or until the skewers/toothpick/cake tester comes out clean. To do the toothpick test - insert it in the middle of the cake.
Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool (2 to 5 minutes).
Place the cake on a cooling rack after removing it from the pan.
How to store leftover cake
You can keep the cake in the fridge or countertop for 3 to 5 days. Allow to cool and wrap in a cling film or airtight container; this prevents the cake from drying out.
- To achieve consistent baking, pre-heat the air fryer. Baking the cake at the proper temperature, preferably at a low setting, is critical to ensure equal cooking.
- You can use any other flavor extract of choice and it would work.
- Don't fill the cake pan too full.
- Let the butter and eggs come to room temperature.
- Do not let the batter sit for too long before placing it in the air fryer,
Vanilla Cake in Air fryer
- Air fryer
- Cake pan or air fryer cake tins
- Mixing bowl
- Baking paper or cake pan liner to line the cake pan for easy removal of the cake from the pan.
- Spatula this is to scrape every bit of the batter into the cake pan.
- Electric mixer hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Cake tester this could be a toothpick, skewers, or an actual cake tester to check for doneness.
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 200 g butter extra for coating the cake tins
- 160 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk full fat or semi-skimmed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder optional
- Prepare the ingredients Butter the cake pan (3 x 7-inch round pan) and line it with parchment paper to prepare the pan. Next, put aside.Using a hand or stand mixer, start creaming the sugar and butter until light and fluffy for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- When the butter and sugar are well combined, add the eggs and milk and then mix with the hand mixer.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 160C/320F.
- Add the flour and baking powder if using. Use a wooden spoon or spatula fold the flour into the mixture until well combined. Lastly, add the milk and mix till smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and place it in the air fryer. Bake in the preheated air fryer between 25 to 35 minutes at a temperature of 150C or until the skewers/cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool (2 to 5 minutes).
- Transfer the cake from the tin and place it on a cooling rack.