These air fryer hot dogs are perfect for your next party, game day, or get-together! Air-fried hot dogs are easy and quick to make; it comes together in under 10 minutes. You will love these juicy hot dogs because it is easy and a favorite weeknight meal for the whole family.
Are you looking for other ways to cook your hot dogs than grilling or using the oven? This air fryer method is a game changer; easy dinner you don't want to miss.
Related post - air fryer frozen sausages
Cooking Hot Dogs in Air Fryer
This air fryer cooking method has proven to work every single time. It is better than using the microwave and faster than the conventional oven, instant pot, or stovetop. Hot dogs take 3-5 minutes to cook, no oil is needed, and dinner will be ready in less than 10 minutes! You can pair hot dogs with french fries, crinkle fries, air fryer roast potatoes, or breakfast potatoes.
You can have the best hot dogs enjoy any time of the day, breakfast, lunch, or dinner on a busy weeknight.
What You will need
Hot dogs: there are different brands to choose from. I have used halal chicken sausage, which I got from my local African store.
Hot dog buns: with this, you can find varieties in the store. You can pick depending on the texture or length of the hot dog.
Hot dog toppings: you can use mustard sauce, ketchup, or barbeque.
How to Cook Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 200C/400F.
- Place the hot dogs in the air fryer basket in a single layer and set the temperature to 180C/350F. Air fry hot dogs for 5 minutes. Shake the basket halfway through and cook for another 2 minutes for even cooking.
- Remove from the air fryer, and place each one into a hot dog bun.
- Put the hot dogs with their buns inside the air fryer and cook for 1-2 minutes at a temperature of 180C/350F. You add extra minutes if you want crispy buns.
- Remove from the air fryer, serve, and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
The internal temperature of hot dogs depends on the type of meat used to make the hot dogs.
Chicken and turkey hot dogs - 74C/165F
Beef hot dogs - 71C/160F
Air fryer temperature varies depending on size, make, and model. My delicious cravings recipe time is subject to a preheated air fryer. If you are trying this recipe for the first time, deduct 2 minutes from the cooking time and increase it if needed to allow the food to cook evenly.
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air fryer
- 450 g Hot dogs
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 2 minutes.
- Place the hot dogs in the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 180C/350F and air fry for 5 mins. Shake the basket halfway through and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and place each one into a hot dog bun.
- Put the hot dogs with their buns inside the air fryer and cook for 1-2 minutes at a temperature of 180C/350F.
- Remove from the air fryer, serve, and enjoy with any sauce of your choice.
How to Store
Fridge: store leftover hot dogs in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can freeze fresh or cooked hot dogs for up to 3 months. To avoid hot dogs sticking together. Arrange the hot dogs on parchment paper on a flat surface. Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Then transfer to a freezer bag.
Reheat in the air fryer at 160C/320F for 3 to 5 minutes.
- If using frozen hot dogs, I recommend defrosting in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes first or microwaving for 20 to 60 seconds using the defrost option. Then air fry for 6-8 minutes, shaking halfway through the cooking.
- You use a knife to make small slits on each hot dog to ensure the hot dog will not burst open when air frying.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer. If cooking for a large crowd, you can cook in batches or use the oven.
Can you cook frozen hot dogs in an air fryer?
Yes, you can. Cooking frozen hot dogs in an air fryer is quick and easy. There is no need to thaw before cooking.
How do you preheat in an air fryer?
Turn on the air fryer for 3-5 minutes before placing your food in the air fryer. If your air fryer does not have inbuilt preheat settings. I use an instant pot vortex air fryer, and it comes with it. Please note that you don't have to preheat before cooking.
However, we recommend preheating the air fryer when cooking frozen food in it because It gives the food a good heat can always cook your food without preheating an air fryer, but it may not cook at its best.
How Long to Cook Hot Dogs Fresh or Frozen in the Air Fryer?
It takes 4 to 6 mins to cook fresh hot dogs in the air fryer. If you are using frozen hotdogs, it takes 8 - 10 minutes to get the perfect hot dog depending on the thickness.