Let’s show you how to make crispy air fryer shallots in under 25 minutes. Air fryer shallots are a healthy and delicious addition to any meal.
Shallots can be cooked in air fryers with little work and mess in a matter of minutes. You will get perfectly cooked shallots; crispy on the outside, with a rich, savory flavor to enhance any dish of your choice.
What are shallots?
Shallots are a type of onion that has a milder flavor and are often used in cooking to add depth and complexity to dishes.
These small, tasty bulbs have similar characteristics to onions and have a mild and sweeter flavor than other onions. They are commonly used in French cuisine and provide numerous dishes with a great depth of flavor. First, peel the shallots and cut them into thin rings before using them in this dish.
Shallots, when cooked in an air fryer, become crispy and caramelized, making them a perfect addition to sandwiches, salads, and other dishes.
Air Fryer Crispy Shallots
Air fryer shallots require only a few simple ingredients to prepare, and I find it better than deep frying. With the right technique, anyone can make perfectly crispy and flavorful shallots in their air fryer. I have tried it and I love making mine at home in my air fryer. Plus, I also love the fact that I can control what goes into it and the crispy texture I get after making them. I must say, it wasn't easy at first but I got a hang of it eventually. Why don't you give it a try?
You will love making your own fried shallots too because of their freshness as the storebought one might not be as fresh. It is also a great way to add flavor to dishes without using excess oil and a pinch of salt is all you need.
Air frying shallots allow them to become crispy and caramelized while maintaining their nutritional value.
Ingredients you will need for the air fryer shallots recipe
Oil - Olive oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil will work for this recipe
Air fryer temperature varies depending on size, make, and model. My delicious cravings recipe time is subject to a preheated air fryer. If you are trying this recipe for the first time, deduct 2 minutes from the cooking time and increase it if needed to allow the food to cook evenly.
How to Make Crispy Fried Shallots in an Air Fryer
Peel skin and slice shallots into thin, even pieces about ⅛ or 1/16 inches.
Pull out individual rings and spread the sliced shallots out on a paper towel-lined plate, then press another layer of paper towel on top to absorb any moisture.
Then, toss them in a bit of oil and seasonings of your choice.
Set the air fryer to 150C/320F for 10 -15 minutes.
Place them in the air fryer basket and cook until golden brown and crispy, shaking the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Once done, remove from the air fryer and use as desired.
How to Store Crispy Shallots
Allow to cool and store air-fried shallots in an airtight container or a glass jar for up to days at room temperature. You could also add some desiccant to the container to enable the shallots last for a long time.
You should use shallots immediately if not fully fried or crispy enough or keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. It is normal due to the shape of the shallots as you will not always get equal cuts or slices. Some parts will not get as crispy as you want. If you see any wet or purple ones after air-frying the shallots, then no need to store them for too long. I used mine to cook my pasta and it is delicious.
- Use firm, unblemished bulbs with dry, papery skin.
- Try not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. Make sure you spread it in a single layer for even cooking.
- If you do not want crispy shallots, remove them from the air fryer after 5 minutes.
- You can use it as a topping for salads or as a flavorful ingredient in soups and stews, air-fried shallots are sure to make a statement.
- Feel free to add some black pepper or red pepper flakes for extra flavor.
- To get even shallot slices, you can use a mandolin or use your knife to get equal slices.
- A cooking spray is recommended to lightly spray the shallot rings. This is to avoid using too much oil as we don't want the shallots to become soggy.
Can you cook shallots in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook shallots in an air fryer in a few minutes. However, cooking them can be challenging as they tend to burn easily. It requires your attention, so keep a close eye.
Why are the shallots, not crispy?
There are different reasons why the shallots are not crispy. Firstly, using too much oil or not cooking at the right temperature, and lastly, if the slices are even. All these can prevent crispiness.
How to Make Crispy Air Fryer Shallots
- Air fryer
- 200 g shallots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil vegetable oil, or avocado oil will work for this recipe
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Peel skin and slice shallots into thin, even pieces about ⅛ or 1/16 inches.
- Pull out individual rings and spread the sliced shallots out on a paper towel-lined plate, then press another layer of paper towel on top to absorb any moisture.Then, toss with a bit of oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Set the air fryer to 150C/320F for 10 -15 minutes.Tranfer them in the air fryer basket and cook until golden brown and crispy, shaking the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Once done, remove from the air fryer and use as desired.
I am glad you made it here and hope you enjoyed it. I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @mydeliciouscravings on Instagram and join our Facebook page for new recipes. Please subscribe if you haven’t for new recipes straight to your inbox.
More air fryer recipes